1.15.2015

2014 IN FILM


Of all the weird ways that I've processed and revealed my favorite films of the year, this one has perhaps been the most unexpected; While exploring a new character illustration style, I needed some subjects, and decided to take a crack at the heroes of my Top Ten Movies of 2014. I illustrated characters from 9 out of my 10 (shown above), and even put prints of them up in my shop if you're crazy enough to want one or more.

As for the ranked list, here it is.

1. BOYHOOD
2. UNDER THE SKIN
3. GONE GIRL
4. THE TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA
5. IDA
6. BIRDMAN
7. THE ZERO THEOREM
8. MOOD INDIGO
9. CITIZENFOUR
10. THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

It was a year in which I loved far fewer movies than in years past. I can't even say I truly loved all ten of the above choices. Even still, I must give a few honorable mentions to FORCE MAJEURE, THE KINGDOM OF DREAMS AND MADNESS, SELMA, THE CONGRESS, DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, NIGHT MOVES, A MOST WANTED MAN, 20000 DAYS ON EARTH, MISTAKEN FOR STRANGERS, and THE STRANGE COLOR OF YOUR BODY'S TEARS.

(I'll take my top five to the grave however. Especially the top three.)

No comments: